Knowing how truck accidents happen is essential for your safety
As a driver, you should expect to find yourself close to many types of vehicles. For example, commercial trucks are everywhere, both on Illinois highways and city streets.
It’s important to know the leading causes of truck accidents, as this information can help you avoid a serious accident.
Here are some of the more common causes of commercial truck accidents:
- Drowsy driving –When a trucker spends too many hours on the road, he or she may become drowsy. This impacts one’s ability to make sound decisions.
- Distracted driving — There are many forms of distracted driving, such as talking on the phone, eating, drinking, texting and searching for something in the vehicle.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs — It doesn’t matter what type of vehicle a person is driving, if he or she is under the influence, there’s a greater chance the individual will cause an accident.
- Lack of training —Trucking companies should provide drivers with a high level of training, as this helps reduce the likelihood of an accident. Unfortunately, some trucking companies come up short in this regard.
- Reckless driving —There are many forms of reckless driving, such as speeding, failure to use turn signals and improper passing.
These are not the only causes of truck accidents, but they are among the most common. As a driver, you can’t stop truckers from making mistakes, but remaining cautious will help enhance your safety.
Things you can do
There are steps you can personally take to prevent a truck accident, such as:
- Never drive in a trucker’s blind spot
- Take extreme caution when passing a truck
- Never pass a truck in the right lane
- Pay close attention when merging onto the highway
- Don’t drive for extended time between two commercial trucks
These are all steps you can take as a driver, as long as you’re willing to do so.
Even if you do everything right, there’s still a chance you could be in a truck accident. If this happens, take these steps:
- Call 911
- Receive medical treatment
- Follow the treatment plan suggested by your medical team
- Contact your insurance company
- Speak with a lawyer as soon as possible concerning your legal options
While your health always comes first, you should also focus on your legal rights and the steps you can take to protect them.