Calculations of Bloomington car accident settlements include the damages suffered by a victim and several other factors. Some variables that...
What to Do After a Car Accident in Illinois
Involved in a car accident? Learn the essential steps of what to do after a car accident in Illinois.
Dealing with injuries, damage to your car/your company’s car, and simply understanding what occurred can take all of your emotional energy after a car accident. In this mental state, it is tough to make decisions for yourself.
Insurance companies and their adjusters know this and act quickly to take advantage of it. They give false promises, telling you that you will be taken care of. Their assurances convince many people with “minor” injuries to avoid the doctor altogether, which ends up creating a significant advantage for insurance companies looking to low ball settlement offers.
Steps to Take after a Car Accident in Illinois
Do you find yourself wondering what to do after a car accident? Here are the essential steps to take after a car accident in Illinois.
Do Not Let Insurance Companies Control the Process
If you have been in a car accident, speak with a car accident attorney at Strong Law Offices in Peoria, Illinois, about your options before you speak to anyone else. You will need to give the insurance companies some general facts, but you should never give a recorded statement or discuss liability.
Our lawyers and experienced investigators will thoroughly investigate the accident, perform diagnostic studies, interview experts and witnesses, and review medical evidence to determine what caused the accident and how much damage (property damage and physical and emotional injuries) you have suffered. Then, we will use that information to fight for fair compensation for all of your injuries.
Act Quickly to Preserve the Evidence
It is important to act quickly to preserve the evidence in your case. Over time, road marks go away, bruises heal, and witnesses' memories fade. By acting quickly to secure us as your legal team, you increase your chances of recovering a larger personal injury or workers' compensation award.
What to Do After a Car Accident
In addition to securing an attorney, there are other steps you should take after a car accident, including:
- Taking pictures at the scene of the accident, if possible
- Collecting information about the other car/driver, including name, address, insurance information and license plate number
- Taking down the names and numbers of any potential witnesses at the scene
- Reporting the accident to the police and your auto insurance company (note: only state the facts — do not discuss fault!)
- Getting medical help immediately after the accident, no matter how minor your injuries
- If you were driving an employer's vehicle, reporting the accident to your employer as soon as possible
Are You a Car Accident Victim? Our Attorneys Can Help.
For a free consultation with an experienced car accident attorney, including a workplace car crash, call 309-688-5297. You can also contact us online. From our law offices in Peoria, Bloomington, Chicago, and Springfield, we represent clients throughout Illinois.
Other car accident resources:
- When to get a lawyer after an auto accident
- Illinois car insurance verification
- 3 types of distracted driving
- Who to Sue in a Car Accident With a Taxi
- Taxi Accidents: When a Taxi Cab Costs More Than a Fare
- How Long Do You Have to Report a Car Accident in Bloomington, IL?
- How to Get a Police Report for a Car Accident